Position summary: The parliamentarian is a consultant who advises the president and other
officers, committees and members on matters of parliamentary procedure. The
parliamentarian’s role during a meeting is purely an advisory and consultative one.
Please keep a record of your activities during the year and upgrade this description as needed.
Leadership skills: basic understanding of parliamentary procedure and of AAUW of OR Bylaws
and Policies, impartiality, ability to explain decisions, mentoring, training.
• Serve on the AAUW of Oregon Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Have available the most recent copy of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised.
• Have available a print-out of motions and their order of precedence.
• Have available the latest AAUW of Oregon Bylaws and Policies.
• Attend all meetings of the AAUW of Oregon.
• Act as a resource for the president at meetings.
• Offer opinions to the president during meetings as requested.
• Assist in the planning and steering of business to be introduced.
• Confer with the president before the meetings and during recesses in order to anticipate any
problems that may arise.
• Avoid, as much as possible, frequent consultation during the meetings.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the president, the executive committee or
the board of directors, or as specified in the bylaws.
Along with the time necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities, this position requires
time to serve on the state executive committee, the state board of directors and other
committees as assigned. Attendance at state executive committee meetings, board meetings
and conventions/annual meetings is required; attendance at the AAUW National Convention is
Resources: Consult with your predecessor; Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised; AAUW
of Oregon Bylaws and Policies; AAUW of Oregon Directory; state website aauw-or.aauw.net;
national website AAUW.org.
(revised April 2020)