Overview of the position: Gain visibility for AAUW’s mission and programs among AAUW members and external audiences statewide.
- Develop and oversee the state communications budget.
- Maintain contact with branch contacts as needed.
- Evaluate previous state communications efforts and assess current needs.
- Form a state communications committee. Assign accountability for the various components of your communications plan, such as newsletter development and distribution, social media, and website creation and maintenance. Committee consists of:
- Oregon News Editor
- Website Manager
- MailChimp list maintenance
- Social Media Managers
Responsibilities for Oregon News (quarterly publication)
- Establish deadlines for Fall, Winter, Convention and Summer Issues
- Compile and lightly edit articles and send to Newsletter Editor
- Work with Editor and Proofreader to produce final copy
- Send finalized copy out in MailChimp emails to:
- AAUW-OR Board of Directors
- Branch Member
- C/U Representatives and other interested parties
- Post to state website
- Send final issue for printing. Get list of members who receive a hard copy via USPS from State database manager and facilitate mailing.
Update and maintain the AAUW-OR State Directory:
- Big update – Starts July 1 – issued by separate emails to
- Branch presidents and
- State Board of Directors
- Update as needed throughout the year, post to state website and email (see next item)
State Annual Meeting (formerly “Convention”) Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of communication and publicity for the state annual meeting.
- Have a logo developed for the state meetings.
- Recommend workbook editor for appointment.
- Appoint meeting photographer.
- Finalize official meeting notice to members two months in advance and publicize by state newsletter and website.
- Arrange for press releases, media interviews, etc.
- Coordinate with the nominating committee to ensure timely receipt of candidate information.
- Coordinate appropriate pre- and post-meeting communications with the Oregon News editor and the website manager, including photography.
- Coordinate with the historian to ensure pertinent documents are archived.
Specific leadership skills helpful to the position: Organizational skills, computer and email skills, planning, team building, consensus building. Basic understanding of publications, social media and website management and design.
Time commitments: Along with the time necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities, serve on the state board of directors and other committees as assigned. Attend state conventions and board meetings.