Position summary: Oversee efforts to recruit and sustain a diverse, active membership in the
Please keep a record of your activities during the year and upgrade this description as needed.
Leadership skills: Planning and goal setting, communications, marketing, team building,
consensus building, leadership development, motivation, encouragement, regular
communication, technical assistance and support.
• Develop a state membership action plan with measurable goals and objectives: your plan
should support branch and state recruitment efforts and recognize branches for growth,
retention, diversity and significant anniversaries.
• Ensure that membership development priorities are integrated throughout your state’s strategic plan.
• Communicate your state membership goals to your branches and support their membership
• Encourage branch membership vice presidents to contact local National AAUW Members,
encouraging them to join their local branch.
• Seek out opportunities to promote membership, sponsor membership events, and facilitate
membership recruitment at activities and events.
• Work with other state officers and committees to integrate membership with other state
priorities including diversity, programs, public policy, leadership and visibility.
• Facilitate a membership vice president counterpart session for branches at state meetings.
• Present branch membership achievement awards at the state annual meeting.
• Serve as a key resource for branch and student organizers and for branches that are
developing satellites, disbanding, or merging.
• Report on state membership statistics and trends as requested.
• Develop and oversee the membership budget in your state.
• Promote the formation of branches and satellites in the state.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the president, the executive committee or
the board of directors, or as specified in the bylaws.
• Maintain regular contact with your branch membership vice presidents and support their
membership development efforts and offer membership recruitment workshops and
training at state and regional conferences.
• Adhere to all national AAUW membership policies and encourage branches to do the same.
Time commitment: Along with the time necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities,
serve on the state board of directors and other committees as assigned. Attend state
conventions, board and leadership meetings, retreats, workshops, and branch and community
activities. Attendance at AAUW National Convention is strongly encouraged.
Resources: Consult with your predecessor; AAUW of Oregon Bylaws and Policies; AAUW of
Oregon Directory; state website aauw-or.aauw.net; national website AAUW.org
(revised April 2020)